* How you get motivation with your dog now and later
* Use Success Signals to pinpoint the behavior they will want to repeat
* Teach self-control with polite treat taking
* Guide your dog to new behaviors they will understand without force
* Do simple class practice that will then get results at home with your dog or puppy
* How to use your home routine to get the behaviors you want at home, not just in a class
* I will help you get comfortable with your starter training skills.
* We will go through your goals and concerns that may have come up.
* I can observe your dog or puppy.
* We can discuss training options.
* Having in person training produces the best results. But, if your are facing current time or financial limits and you need to self-train I will give you recommended online links that can help you.
* Sample training treats, an easy to attach or carry starter training treat pouch and a clicker
For Leadership Skills in Your Dog Training or Puppy Training
* (for puppies) Puppy Start Right book-a manual for puppy development and training written by Veterinary professionals-Kenneth Martin, DVM, board certified veterinary behaviorist (one of about 100 in the whole country), and Debbie Martin, RVT-VTS (specialty certification in behavior-one of less than 20 in the whole country), Certified Pet Dog Trainer-knowledge assessed, and Karen Pryor Academy-Certified Training Partner. Both are national and international veterinary behavior presenters. Debbie Martin was my Karen Pryor Academy instructor.
* (for dogs) Getting Started with Clicker Training-by Karen Pryor, a practical guide by the founder of the Karen Pryor Academy. This also includes the Click a Trick card set.
Karen Pryor was the head trainer at Sea Life Park and was one of the first to train dolphins for shows. She has trained a large variety of animals and did ground breaking work on animal behavior and cognition, and published the first scientific paper on training creativity in animals. She wrote the internationally bestselling book Don't Shoot the Dog, which was embraced by animal trainers and became the foundation for the positive and humane way to work with animals that is now called clicker training. Her numerous awards include:
2017 : Edward L. Anderson Jr. Award, The Art and Science of Animal Training
2014 : Trainer of the Year, Purina ProPlan 60th Annual Show Dogs of the Year Awards
2014 : Lifetime Achievement Award, Association of Professional Dog Trainers
2010 : Certificate of Excellence Award, Magazine Article–Behavior and Training, Cat Writers’ Association
2009 : Maxwell Award for Best Training and Behavior Book, Dog Writers Association of America, for Reaching the Animal Mind: What Clicker Training Teaches Us about All Animals
2001 : Tidy Cats Feline Behavior Award, Cat Writers’ Association
2001 : Certificate of Excellence Award, Books: Behavior & Training, Cat Writers’ Association, for Getting Started: Clicker Training for Cats